Thursday 13 May 2010

On my bedside table

In addition to watching the election coverage pretty much non-stop since last Thursday, I've recently been reading a lot of fiction in my spare time.  I practically devoured The Pact and Redeeming Love (blogged here)...both kept me awake well into the wee small hours of the morning.  The Pact was my first Jodi Picoult novel and I was totally blown away by her writing and the sophistication of a seemingly predictable storyline.  Redeeming Love was just beautiful...I think perhaps every girl is subconsciously seeking out her very own Michael.  In any case, I cannot recommend them enough.

Image credits: here and here

I have three weeks of revision ahead of me, so I wanted a couple of books to counterbalance the monotony of my Masters reading.  I was seriously tempted by the Vampire Academy series (yup, I jumped on the Twilight bandwagon!), which I first heard about on Jennifer Johner's blog.  I just wasn't 100% convinced that it was entirely my scene, so I settled instead on another Jodi Picoult novel, Nineteen Minutes, and The White Queen by Philippa Gregory (one of my go-to authors, along with John Grisham).  Despite its inaccuracies, I love historical fiction...The Other Boleyn Girl and The Boleyn Inheritance were both fantastic.  Has anyone read either Nineteen Minutes or The White Queen?  Any other recommendations?

Before I head off, if you're a Twitter fan, Oscraps (@oscraps) is running a promotion at the moment...each new follower is sent a link to a Twitter-themed freebie digital kit!  I downloaded the kit this evening and used a couple of the digital elements to create this little button for my blog:


One of these days - when I get a little less stressed out by PSE - I'm very tempted to give digital scrapbooking a try.  Digital kits are scarily addictive!

Happy Thursday!

3 comments:

JO SOWERBY said...

i have read alot of jodi picoult's books and can recommend all of them, they are all different but have a very definate theme. i have just read remarkable creatures by tracey chevalier which is about the 2 women who found many of the famous fossils in lyme bay in dorset. as a g8 fan of lyme regis i loved this book. i will have to read ur recommendations, they sound really good. i am reading a book by wally lamb about identical twin brother, one of whom has schizophrenia, the other is fit and well. it is a really good book looking at how the experiences of the ill brother and twin are so intertwined but also about their lives in general. i use a website called read it swap it alot for getting vitually free books. u make a list of books u'd like to swap and a list of books u'd like to read and hopefully someone wil have those books. it only cost postage to swap and i have read some excellent books through that.
Jo xxx

Meghann Andrew said...

Haven't read either book, but I did love The Other Boleyn Girl. I thought the movie ruined the story! Love your new twitter button! SO cute!

Meghann Andrew said...

Hey! Check out this post:
http://meghannslittlecorner.blogspot.com/2010/05/argh-and-questionnaire.html
I've tagged you toward the end!