Friday 19 February 2010

This is Why I Scrapbook: Part 2

Have you ever thought about why you scrapbook? Maybe you've done so 'accidentally,' when someone asks you what it is that you do for fun...and why. Perhaps, as you attempt to explain away another scrapbooking-related purchase to your husband/partner/boyfriend/friend/parent/yourself (I tend to find that they're either enablers or just make you feel really bad), you cry, 'but it makes me happy!' Or maybe, like many of us, you've just never really given it any thought.
[You might be wondering at this point why it's even worth it, but here's my theory: scrapbookers document things that are meaningful to them. And I'm guessing that if you asked almost any scrapbooker, they would rate scrapbooking as pretty high on their 'things that are very important to me list.']

Before I participated in 'This is Why I Scrapbook,' I had never organised my reasons into coherent thoughts, but I'm so glad that I made the effort to do so.

For myself - and others - it was an opportunity to take stock...to look at how we process and document our lives through a layout. In this vein, I would argue that a scrapbook isn't just a pimped out photo album. Rather, it is a genuine labour of love (apologies for the cliche)...which provides stories and insights into times gone by. Yes, a photo speaks a thousand words. But when you have thousands of photographs, those words get lost.

For the most part, however, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to thank someone whose passion and enthusiasm for scrapbooking left an indelible mark on my life. Thank you again, Mrs. Rose. You rock. (My credit card company thinks so, too!).

So, go make yourself a cup of tea/coffee/whatever keeps you sane and head on over to Shimelle's blog. Take a peek at each of the entries and vote for those people whose reasons resonate with you. Hopefully you'll be inspired to put pen to paper and record your own thoughts on why you scrapbook....I'd love to hear them.

And thank you so much to those of you that have voted for me. You rock too :)

2 comments:

Meghann Andrew said...

I just voted for you Genevieve! I love your explanation for why you scrapbook!

Laura said...

Good for you for gathering your thoughts and participating in this! I wanted to do this also, but have too many projects going right now. Your posts definitely are motivating me to think about WHY I scrapbook though.

Your blog is adorable! :)